The African Violet Association of Australia, Inc was formed to promote a better understanding of the growing of the plants of the Gesneriad family and to provide a way for enthusiasts of these plants to share experiences.
The most widely known member of this family is the African violet (Saintpaulia). Other members of the gesneriad family including Columneas, Achimenes, Kohlerias, Episcias, Nematanthus, Sinningias, Aeschynanthus and Gloxinia are now becoming more popular.
Meetings where these plants are the focus of attention are held at 10.30 am on the 2nd Monday of each month February to November at the Burwood RSL Club, 96 Shaftesbury Road, Burwood, NSW.
Visitors are always welcome, but if you would like more information first, please ask us, by using the Contact link above.
Unfortunately the COVID pandemic is once again impacting our meetings just as it is having an effect on every other facet of life.
Our meetings can only be held when it is safe and appropriate to do so, and when the provisions regulating the club where we meet actually permit. The AUGUST and SEPTEMBER meetings have already been cancelled, and now the decision has been taken to cancel the meeting for OCTOBER as well. Gesneriad Meetings are suspended also.
Very reluctantly we have also postponed our ANNUAL AFRICAN VIOLET AND GESNERIAD SHOW, making this the second year we have not had a show. The postponed show will be held on 29/30th of April 2022.
There could well be further changes. Hopefully they can be notified here and on our Facebook page.
1. Regular meetings provide informative talks and demonstrations as well as useful interaction with other growers
2. Meetings include a mini-show of plants where a selection of plants at their best is exhibited to members
3. Each meeting has a plant sales table where members may purchase plants unavailable outside of hobby growing.
4. Members are able to pre-order growing supplies such as potting mix and pots and pick them up at the meetings..
5. The Association's newsletter, "The African Violet" is provided to all members, either by email or by post.
And don't forget the Association's Annual African Violet and Gesneriad Show, next to be held on 13 November 2021 after not having a show in 2020.
Why not join the African Violet Association of Australia?
Use this link to download a Membership Form